baked goods 2 for 1 and free crack

Commentary on whatever I like, sometimes useful, sometimes not so...

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Now that that's over

Now the formal or non-formal introductions are out of the way...time to ramble...

I have a love/hate relationship with this time of year (especially during an election year, like this year). On one hand, Halloween comes and goes and signals cold weather, snow, the beginning of hockey season, and the coming holidays. That part I love. The part(s) I hate are scrapping windshields, slick roads, poor driving, longer commutes, and on election years, the ads and elections. The ads drive me nuts as they are repeated and repeated and repeated and repeated and well you get it, but the content is even worse. Each canidate digging up dirt and smearing or trying to smear their opponent with some of the most outlandish claims they can legally get by with. If you are going to run for office prepare to have all of your past exposed...So if you stole a pack of gum when you were a kid, or dropped acid while hitting the bong in college, or made some minor modifications in your favor on your taxes as an adult, prepare to answer for them.

Once upon a time (although I don't remember it), before my time, politicians debated the issues. Actual issues that really mattered to the voters and not whether they slept with a 17 year old when they were a freshman in college because she claimed to be 20, or any other meaningless drivel. They debated tax cuts, spending, and all manner of relevant legislation. Things that the average voter will feel after the election. Oh how I wish we could get back to those days...we are no longer governed "by the people", "for the people" as our forefathers set forth, but are now lead by lifetime politicians on the dole of every Pac and lobbyist that sends them money. I fear now that only an outright revolt can change this course, and frankly don't see this generation with the balls to act. Everyone has stood back and watched as more of our civil liberties were stripped from us than at any other time in our history. All in the name of fighting terrorism, which to me is just a big excuse to take power from the people and add power to the government. Hopefully some future generation will realize that we the people have been raped and violated (with no foreplay), and will stand up and fight to regain our true freedoms. For now though I guess I will just wait on November 7th, cast my votes, and be glad the election ads are finally over with.

more later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home