baked goods 2 for 1 and free crack

Commentary on whatever I like, sometimes useful, sometimes not so...

Monday, December 18, 2006

Send me Dead Flowers

"Well, when youre sitting back
In your rose pink cadillac
Making bets on kentucky derby day
Ill be in my basement room
With a needle and a spoon
And another girl to take my pain away

Take me down little susie, take me down
I know you think youre the queen of the underground
And you can send me dead flowers every morning
Send me dead flowers by the US mail
Say it with dead flowers at my wedding
And I wont forget to put roses on your grave"

Well the poor pitiful United States Postal Service which, no doubt, has been nearly crippled by technology and the acceptance of email as the preferred means of written communication. Finally they have been forced to remove the iconic big blue postal boxes that inhabit strip malls and street corners throughout our wonderful land. While they won't be uprooting and removing "all" of them...they will be doing away with most. The determining factor will be if the given box receives 25 or more pieces of mail on any given day. By that standard, I'm sure the number will have these pieces of history teetering on the brink of extinction.

As with so many things, the rush of newer, better, stronger, faster, and more efficient means or devices have left the mail box in the dust of history. Like the public phone booth before it, now these receptacles in which so many words, feelings, and personal information have passed through are to be no more. Now left as only something that are mentioned in tales of the past. Children today will be surprised to hear that once people actually corresponded with hand written words that were sealed and delivered in a matter of days in contrast to today's typed letters, rich in Internet shorthand and cutesy emoticons, and now delivered in a matter of milliseconds.

Ahhh, technology...a blessing or a curse?

Since I am (and have been for years) employed in the IT field, and have always loved and been amazed by all manner of gadgets and gizmos that make our lives easier, I truly have a great appreciation for technology. There is, however, a part of me somewhere that mourns the passing of the written word. As I was growing up, passing notes in school was the major form of communication. The way in which everything from a party invitation to an expression of undying (albeit puppy) love was conveyed. Now it's all about IM'ing, texting, emailing, and all things electronic and instantaneous. Somehow I can't help but think these more rapid forms of communication must have a downside, however slight, to them. Perhaps a small manner of creativity gets lost in the haste. I think so anyway...IMHO...BTW...

L8R peeps...LOL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home