baked goods 2 for 1 and free crack

Commentary on whatever I like, sometimes useful, sometimes not so...

Thursday, November 30, 2006

PPT & JT

Last night I settled in on the couch to watch a couple hours of Hold em' on the Travel Channel. The PPT to be exact, which btw is laced with talent, strictly the best of the best. They always have a "featured" table which recieves the lion's share of the coverage, but occasionally bounce around the room for big all-ins and such. One of those (sort of) memorable bounces showed Bill Gazes getting knocked out on the sickest beat I've seen in a while as his almost certain winner collapsed to a runner-runner straight on the turn/river.

Another very notable hand, and a first for me, as I have never witnessed this from any game...live, TV, or otherwise was James Woods mucking the best hand WITHOUT showing it down thereby giving up a pot he desperately needed as he was the severe short-stack at the table. He had paired a four on a board of rags, with two other players going to the end as well, and with not a whole lot of posturing or betting. Well the first player shows a pair of deuces, and a second player pipes up that "I've got that beat", which he did with a pair of treys, so Woods just mucks...ASSUMING his fours are beat as well...WITHOUT even showing them down. UnREAL!!! I guess that's why he is the actor turned wannabe poker pro and not the poker shark we all try to be.

Also...while the PPT was on, my local PBS station was showing a James Taylor tribute concert where various (and very good) artists would go on and do their rendition of a JT song. Now he has over a hundred songs to his credit, and granted it was "mostly" his hit songs that were being played, but...during a PPT commercial break I hit the "last-channel" button on the remote to return to the concert and who should appear, but two of my very favorite musicians in the whole wide world, aka Alison Krauss (what an angelic voice + she plays an extraordinary fiddle to boot) and Jerry Douglas (simply the world's best dobro player...hands down). So before they even played the first note, I announced to the room that they were going to play the song "Goin' to Carolina"...and...I was right, scary right, like Nostradamus prophecy right. At least it seemed prophetic at the time, and they did a damn fine job of it...so beautiful.

After the PPT was over, I slept. All for now...more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home